When to Throw Out Used Makeup
- The following are GENERAL guidelines, as recommendations vary depending on the source.
- Throw away any mascara, eye shadow and eye liners you have been using if you contract an eye infection.
- Throw away any products that have an odor, or have changed consistency or color.
- Keep your makeup products covered and closed tightly, and away from heat and moisture.
- Mascara- can be #1 culprit of exposing the eyes to unwanted bacteria; throw out every 3-6 months
- Liquid/cream foundation– throw out every 8-12 months
- Liquid/cream concealer– throw out every 8-12 months
- Powder foundation, blush, loose and compact powders– throw out every 18-24 months
- Cream blush– throw out every 8-12 months
- Lipstick– throw out every 12-18 months
- Lip and eye pencils– throw out every 12-18 months (sharpening and removing the top layer will help remove bacteria)
- Eye shadow– throw out every 6-12 months