It is easy for our skin to feel dry and stale during these cold winter months. But it is not a lost cause!
Here are my top tips for feeling dewy and fresh this winter:
1. Keep your skin clean with gentle cleansers. Stay away from products containing alcohol! Using an exfoliant on a regular basis will help remove dead surface cells, revealing fresh new skin underneath.
2. Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! This is so important, both day and night. Make sure your daytime moisturizer has a broad spectrum SPF, and that you are using this in conjunction with a nourishing eye cream. At night you may be needing a richer formula to target dryness and skin renewal.
3. Using a primer containing silicone under your foundation can help lock in moisture. After washing my face each morning I apply moisturizer and let that absorb for several minutes, followed by primer and then my foundation.
4. If you are feeling especially dry, add a bit of moisturizer to your liquid foundation, blending the two in clean hands before applying. This will make your foundation more sheer and leave your skin looking dewy and fresh, like wearing a tinted moisturizer.
5. Use powder sparingly, just where you need it. I brush a bit of loose powder over my forehead, nose and chin, where I tend to get shiny throughout the day.
6. Instead of powder blush, try a cream blush for a soft flush of color. If you don’t have cream blush, use your lipstick instead! Smile, dab a few dots on the apples of your cheeks and blend in a circular motion, working up and back toward your hairline.
7. Matte lipsticks are beautiful, but can look and feel very dry. Try a more sheer or glossy lip option, preferably in a bright shade of pink, peach or red for a pop of color.
Take care of your skin this winter and stay warm!