While working at a wedding last weekend I met a lovely woman who was the sister of the bride. We talked a bit about makeup and skincare and she asked for recommendations. She said she didn’t regularly protect her skin from the sun but would like to start being more proactive, so she is the inspiration for this blog post.
I am by no means a skincare expert, and anyone with skin concerns should consult with their personal physician or a dermatologist. The products I list below are simply examples to help you start your search.
From the perspective of a makeup artist and someone who has experienced their own share of skin woes, here are some thoughts to take you into the upcoming winter season:
1. There are tons of excellent cleansers that are kind and gentle to dry and damaged skin. Cleansing our skin on a daily basis is crucial, especially if you wear makeup. Some cleansers deliver added hydration to the skin, like CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser, while others exfoliate to remove dry/dead cells as they clean, as with the Microdelivery Exfoliating Wash by Philosophy.
2. Please be gentle to your skin! Instead of using a standard wash cloth, try a softer baby washcloth, or just using clean hands. After cleansing, PAT your skin dry, rather than rubbing.
3. I love Thayer’s Rose Petal Witch Hazel Toner. It feels very refreshing and soothing on my skin and doesn’t contain alcohol.
4. Just because the days are shorter and cloudier, doesn’t mean you should skimp on your sun protection!! Choose a daily moisturizer with broad spectrum SPF, like Arbonne’s RE9 Advanced Extra Moisture Day Cream or Mary Kay’s TimeWise Day Solution Sunscreen.
5. At night you may want to use a richer moisture treatment or moisturizing mask, like Olay Regenerist Night Recovery or Clinique’s Moisture Surge Overnight Mask.
Even the very best makeup will never look its best when applied to dry and uncared for skin. Love and take care of your skin this fall and winter!!